Wednesday, 23 March 2011

I Crashed My Beloved Cargo Bike



Well as some of you may already know, several months ago when snow was still thick on the ground I finally purchased a cargo bike, something I had longed for, dreamed about and saved for, for what felt like forever.

Since buying the bike I have been out on it virtually every day, kids have been loaded in, weekly shopping has been done, parcels have been delivered to customers, wholesale orders have been taken to the post office, no matter what the weather, we've been on the bike. It has been so much fun, the kids love going in it, I have saved a fortune on petrol and have got a bit fitter in the process.

However yesterday after completing my longest ride yet, to our local hospital for my daughters eye check, I was feeling very chuffed with how far my fitness had improved,then disaster struck.

I was free wheeling down a hill to collect the kids from school, when all of a sudden I felt the front end go, the box literally flew off the frame, upended it self onto the front panel and I went flying over the top, and then the frame of the bike landed on my leg. The whole thing probably only lasted seconds but it was incredibably frightening. Several mums rushed over to see if I was ok, but in all honesty I felt completely humiliated and just wanted the ground to open up. They helped me pick the bike & box up and we had to just dump it on the pavement so I could get to school and collect the kids.



Thankfully one of the dads took pity on me & my bike and came down with his tool kit to try and put it back together. It was no easy task, but we did manage to get it to the point where I could wheel it home.

I am so thankful the kids weren't in it at the time as that would of been horrific. The stupid part is I had mentioned that is sounded a bit rattlely and I thought the bolts needed checking. I had no idea that they would all come out like they did and cause such a sudden crash.

The moral of the story is don't put off till tomorrow things that you know need doing NOW!

1 comment:

  1. So scary. I see it's mended now so that is good. And yay for someone with older kids on a trike. I can wait to hear more.

    V

    ReplyDelete