Saturday, 4 June 2011

Wires


Today is my son's 8th birthday and it really brought it home to me how far he has come. He was born very premature at 26 weeks gestation.

On a lovely summer evening after a few niggles & one gigantic sharp pain I was already feeling jumpy but put it down to sitting at a desk too long. So decided it was nothing & sat down to watch Location,Location,Location & eat a chippy tea. During the programme it soon became apparent something wasn't right but thought I'd wait to put the my daughter to bed when it finished & then maybe phone the midwife. It was not to be, it soon became an urgent problem, rang the midwife & told her I was bleeding, her advice? well go to the hospital then (not a great support!!)

By the time we reached the local maternity unit I was doubled up in pain & labour was well under way. I was given an injection to try to slow things down but even at the time I thought to myself thats never going to work. They also gave me a steroid injection to try to try to get the babies lungs a bit more developed. Unfortunately there was no time for them to work as my lovely son Murphy was born shortly after weighing 2lb 7oz, a hefty weight for that gestation.

We had already been warned that he would be taken straight to another room as soon as he was born, so we didn't even get to see him, and he was gone. A stressful wait to hear he was stable and being moved down to the special care unit. From reading my notes at a later date it was worrying to read he had to be resuscitated at birth.

We were taken down to the special care unit to meet our son for the first time and had to wait quite a while till he was ready. He was being stablised and put on a ventilator. Our first meeting was strange as we couldn't hold him but it was still love at first sight.

He was then transfered to the Royal London Hospital at Whitechapel as there is no neonatal intensive care facilities in Essex. I was not allowed to be discharged until about 5.30am, when we promptly left & set off after our son.


I love this picture it's Murphy at two months old when he had been moved back to the local neonatal unit, we could pick him up and cuddle him and he was learning to feed.

I could write an essay about Murphy's first few months in hospital but perhaps that is for another day. I am so proud when I look at him now and what sums it all up is here;

artist: Athlete song: Wires

You got wires, going in
You got wires, coming out of your skin
You got tears, making tracks,
I got tears, that are scared of the fact
Running down corridors through,
automatic doors
Got to get to you
Got to see this through
I see hope is here
In a plastic box
I've seen christmas lights, reflect in your eyes

You got wires, going in
You got wires, coming out of your skin
There's dry blood, on your wrist
Your dry blood, On my fingertip

Running down corridors through,
automatic doors
got to get to you
got see this through

First night of your life
Curled up on your own
Looking at you now
You would never know

I see it in your eyes
I see it in your eyes
You'll be alright

I see it in your eyes
I see it in your eyes
You'll be alright

Alright..

Running down corridors through,
automatic doors
Got to get to you
Got to see this through
I see hope is here
In a plastic box
I've seen Christmas lights reflect in your eyes

Running down corridors through,
automatic doors
Got to get to you
Got to see this through
First night of your life
Curled up on your own
Looking at you now
You would never know

We love you so much Murphy x

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Murphy (what a lovely name!). What an amazing journey you have all been on. Must have been terrifying So glad everything worked out well. I love that Athlete song but it makes me cry when I hear it sometimes. x

    ReplyDelete